Making Mommy Friends.

Monday, February 8, 2016

Hello lovelies,
If you're anything like me, making friends is something that hasn't come easy since becoming a mommy. When I was in school, making friends was easy - being around the same people every day in class, living in the dorm with a ton of new faces who were just as excited as I was to be at university, etc. - all you had to do was be friendly and find someone with a common interest and BAM, friends!

As a mommy, making friends organically has proven to be a little bit more difficult. We just moved to a new town a few months ago; the combination of being new to the area and being a SAHM has led me to feel isolated at times. I often feel like I am almost hitting on other moms in an attempt to make a new friend. Awkward...

Thankfully, I have finally started making a few friends and feel more like my less-creepy self again!
In an effort to help out other mommies going through the same or similar scenarios, I have come up with a few ways to help y'all make some new mommy friends too!

1. Join a MOPS Group (or something similar)
MOPS or Mothers of Preschoolers is a great program that is normally put on by a local church or community organization. You can go and do activities and meet other women who are mothers with children close in age to your baby! If your community doesn't have a MOPS group, I would suggest talking to a leader in your church or community center about bringing one to your area!

2. Get involved in a homechurch with an active Parent's Group or Preschool Ministry
Along the same lines as MOPS, a homechurch with other parents of young children is a great place to find mommy friends! Our church has been a great source of community for us because of an active Parents of Preschooler's bible study class and the ability to grow together in a group.

3. Mother's Day Out
Bonnie goes to MDO a couple times a week for a few hours; it's a nice break and change of pace for me, as well as an opportunity to catch up on housework/errands.I suggest this as a way to make friends because when the program starts, there is always a meet and greet with the teachers and other parents. I took advantage of the meet and greet and other class functions to put myself out there and try to find other moms who were looking for friends!

Those are all of the tips that I have so far; I hope that they help you build up your mommy squad! Above all else, you just have to put yourself out there and not worry about seeming creepy. It might take some time, but just be patient and consistent - you can do it!
If you are a mommy friend making guru, or just have killer pick up skills, let me know if you have any other tips for being the friendliest mom on the block in the comments below!

Stay sweet,

4 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for church friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great advice. I too wish making friends was as easy now as it used to be when I was younger. It seems like there is the mentality that unless you parent the way I do, we can't be friends and I *hate* that. Some of the best things I've learned about being a mom has come from other mothers who are nothing like me. Love and appreciate differences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agreed, Courtney! Some of my best friends and I are completely different in so many ways and yet I love them to death!

      Delete